Saturday, October 2, 2010

In the beginning, God created butter, flour, and sugar...and it was delicious.

I've heard that the first step on the road to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. So, here it is: I, Colleen McCullough, have a baking problem. It's not just a habit, it's an obsession. My three poisons are flour, sugar and butter. The infinite combinations of these three ingredients taunt my taste buds and fire my creativity. My goal here is to share stories, recipes, and pictures of my successes and failures in the kitchen. And so it begins...

Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and rainbow sprinkles 10/01/2010.

.

Cream Cheese Frosting recipe:
1 8oz. package of Philly cream cheese (the brand counts on this one!)
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3-4 c. powdered sugar (or enough to form stiff peaks when mixed)

Directions: Allow butter and cream cheese to soften to room temperature. Cream butter and cream cheese on medium power with electric mixer. Add vanilla and mix well. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup and a time, scraping bowl constantly to avoid lumps. Mix on high to whip frosting to desired texture.

*tip* for perfectly swirled frosting peaks, transfer frosting to a gallon-size ziploc bag. With scissors, snip off one corner, about 1/2 in. in width, and pipe frosting in a circular motion onto cupcake. Voila!

2 comments: